In this blog, we embark on a journey behind the scenes of Ajjay Mehrra’s design process, revealing the steps involved in making our collections. From the first spark of inspiration to the final touches that bring our garments to life, we take pride in exhibiting the artistry that defines Ajjay Mehrra Couture.
Join us as we delve into the creative process, where each collection begins with a concept that captures the soul of contemporary masculinity. From there, our team sketches and refines their vision, shaping each garment with careful attention to detail.
Beyond the design studio, fabric selection plays a pivotal role in creating garments of the highest quality. We source luxurious textiles that embody the spirit of our collections, carefully considering their texture, drape, and visual impact. We believe that the right fabric elevates not only the look but also the experience of wearing our creations.
At Ajjay Mehrra Couture, we are passionate about pushing boundaries and redefining men's fashion. Our design process embodies this commitment, as we constantly seek to create timeless pieces that exude elegance, sophistication, and individuality.
From haute couture to street fashion, every designer takes a different approach to the creative process of fashion design. However, there are many general steps that designers adhere to between the initial ideation phase and the completion of a garment.
How The Fashion Design Process Works
- Finding Inspiration: Fashion is more than just the clothing you wear, but the way it is worn and the story it tells. Ajjay Mehrra looks for inspiration in his daily life. These musings may arrive from anywhere, be it art, music, history, architecture, or even fashion trends. For instance, the inspiration for our newest collection Opulence came from the architecture and culture of Florence, Italy.
- Sketching Ideas: Sketches help designers mentally visualise the designs. They present an idea in a tangible form and communicate the technical elements of an idea, including darts, sleeve length, overall length, etc. Eventually, these sketches will become a blueprint for the pattern maker to create the first muslin or the prototype.
- Honing in on the Design: Many designers use a mood board or inspiration board to smoothen their designs. These reference points help organise concepts or materials and see which ideas strike the most interest. These mood boards may also include fabric swatches or textile design ideas to narrow down the style choices even further.
- Choosing Fabrics: Designers have to select the right type of fabric that fits our design ideas perfectly. Sometimes, the fabric will dictate the type of garment we make; other times, the type of silhouette informs the fabric selection. We have to research the weight, thickness, and construction of their fabric selection to better understand how they fit, move, and drape on the body.
- Picking Colors: A colour is a powerful tool for transmitting the mood of a design. It’s often the first thing people notice when they look at any piece of clothing. We must choose the right colour palettes to ensure they depict the appropriate mood and story for our collection. Learn more about how Ajjay Mehrra Couture creates colour schemes in our colour theory blog.
- Considering Silhouettes: There are different approaches to using silhouettes to define a garment’s shape and how they fit the body. Designers must consider the target consumer’s body type and the fabric they plan to use to create the right look. We have to be mindful of proportions, balance, and how certain pieces drape or move. Silhouettes can be an easy aspect to overlook in the 2D sketching phase, but being mindful of a silhouette’s impact throughout all design stages is crucial.
- Sampling and Prototyping: Eventually, we will finalise the sketches and send them to pattern makers for prototyping. These aim to capture the spirit of the final garment through its shape, draping, and fabric choice. This product sample marks the first time we see our garment in a 3D form, which we can revise as needed.
- Assembling the Garment: The designer must determine the best techniques and trims to use to formally construct their garment. These design choices must work within the context of their fashion story.
- Fittings and Adjustments: Fitting plays a crucial role in ensuring that the garments achieve the desired fit and silhouette. We, at Ajjay Mehrra Couture, work closely with models who serve as fitting muses, making adjusting the garments easier.
- Finishing Touches: The final stage of the fashion design process involves hemming, hand-finishing, and attaching closures such as buttons. These details contribute to the overall quality and polished appearance of the garments.
- Presentation and Showcasing: Once the collection is complete, we have the opportunity to present their creations through fashion shows or photoshoots. These platforms allow us to showcase our collections to the world.
The fashion design process is an intricate and collaborative journey that fuses creativity, skill, and technical expertise into one collection. It is a tribute to the zeal, ardour, and artistry of designers, artisans, and craftspeople who work tirelessly to bring fashion visions to life. With every stitch, every fitting, and every finishing touch, the fashion design process celebrates the harmonious blend of art and technique.